According to historians and architects the construction of this monument was during 1502-1508 and was initiated by Governor Nicolas de Ovando who personally selected the site after it was decided that the city of Santo Domingo would be transferred to the west shores of the Ozama River.
The principal objective of this construction was to protect the city from pirates attacks as well as English, French and Portuguese invaders.
Inside the temple of the Dominican Nuns is the Rosario Chapel, which was started in 1649.
Address: Isabel la Católica Street corner Emiliano Tejera Street, Colonial City of santo Domingo This was one of the first houses made of stone in the New World and surely the first house with two stories.
It gets its name from its façade that has the design of a cord in it. The style of the house is Elizabethan gothic and in the garden you can see some of the original brick arches.
In 1548 the widow of Diego Columbus, Maria de Toledo prepared her will here.
It is unknown to this day why the Spanish authorities abandoned this fortress so close to the river and in such a strategic place.
The Convent-Church of Regina Agelorum is considered a very prestigious building because of its colonial design. It has all the characteristics and qualities of Spanish style.