Further to the south west, St Lawrence's Church was built at the end of the 14th century.
In 1413, Erik of Pommern granted Skagen the status of market town with the result that for a time it became Vendsyssel's largest community with up to 2,000 inhabitants.
It belonged to Tronder, a shepherd who also became Skagen's first fisherman.
Around 1340, Vesterby, on the east coast (to the south west of today's harbour), developed into the main village.
They built the summer residence Klitgaarden, completed in 1914.